Where Were the Gatekeepers?
At 6:06 in the evening on August 4, 2020, I was in my office, streaming a stand-up special while I worked through some financial paperwork. An unremarkable afternoon, the kind Beirut teaches you to treasure precisely because nothing is happening in it.
Then the room shook. First like an earthquake. Then harder, until the walls themselves were drumming.
I heard what sounded like aircraft. In Lebanon, that sound has never meant panic; we grow up hearing jets break the sound barrier over our heads, and we learn, the way you learn anything you cannot control, to keep working through it. That is what pacification actually feels like from the inside: a sound that should stop your heart, filed instead under background noise.
This one did not stay background noise for long.
I ran to the window and saw a white cloud rising over the port. Before I could work out what it was, I heard the real sound. The second one. I watched a shape climb into the sky that some part of me recognized before the rest of me caught up. I thought we had been nuked. I ran for the deepest corner of my office. It didn't matter. The blast reached in anyway, threw me two meters through the air, and slammed me into my own desk.
I don't know how long I lay in the dust before I could see again. I called my wife first and gave her instructions I still remember, word for word, from a nuclear survival guide I'd read years earlier for no reason I could name. Then I thought, almost calmly, that none of it mattered: if this really was a nuclear strike, no instructions were going to save us. Then I called my mother. My sister. Everyone whose voice I needed to hear once more, just in case.
It took a colleague almost half an hour to reach me. The elevator was dead. We didn't have keys to half the offices we needed to check. Our CEO's office, wall to wall with mine, was gone. What was left of it would have killed him instantly had he been sitting there that afternoon. Most of the floor was in the same condition. The warehouse we used to store medical supplies was destroyed. We stayed until midnight, making sure what remained of it was sealed and safe. Only on the drive home after that did I understand, for the first time, the actual magnitude of what had happened to my city.
That's the story I carry. Here's the story the country carries, six years on: yesterday, on the sixth anniversary of that explosion, Lebanon held vigils, and the headlines said what they always say: still no accountability. Officials admitted, on the record, that they'd been warned weeks in advance about the ammonium nitrate sitting in that warehouse. A judge, Tarek Bitar, spent years being removed, sued, and blocked by the very prosecutor's office meant to support him. That prosecutor was, eventually, indicted himself for obstructing the case. Bitar finished his investigation this past March and charged seventy people. The file has sat on a desk ever since. No indictment. No trial. Six years, and the people who knew and said nothing have not had to answer for the saying-nothing, let alone for what came after.
I could end the piece here and it would already prove the point. But it wouldn't be honest, because 2020 is not where this started. It goes back further than the port. It goes back to the year we were told the war had ended.
In 1991, the Lebanese parliament passed a law forgiving every crime committed in fifteen years of civil war. This was a chamber that hadn't faced a real election since 1972, several of its own seats filled not by voters but by decree, some of those decrees handed to former militia commanders themselves. No trials. No truth commissions. No accounting of who did what to whom. Just a clean page, written into law by men who, in more than a few cases, were writing amnesty for themselves.
Nearly everyone went home free. Ministries. Parliament seats. Party leaderships, intact. Except one man, who spent eleven years alone in a cell three floors beneath the Ministry of Defense, convicted in a trial that international human rights observers called flawed and political from the outset. I want to be precise about what that means, because it's easy to hear it wrong. It does not mean Lebanon finally found the nerve to prosecute a warlord. It means one warlord became inconvenient to whoever held power that year, and the machinery of justice was borrowed to remove him, dressed up as accountability. Even our one story about a gatekeeper doing its job wasn't that story. It was a rival being erased, wearing the costume of law.
Everyone else simply resumed their lives. The downtown that had been the actual, physical stage of the war, the buildings that held the bullet holes, the streets that held the memory, was handed to a private real-estate company. It was founded by Rafic Hariri, already prime minister by the time it began building, with the legal power to seize roughly 150 hectares of that downtown and convert the owners' land into company shares instead of compensation. What rose in its place was polished, beautiful, and empty: a downtown built to be photographed, not lived in, engineered so thoroughly around forgetting that scholars would later call it, without irony, a form of state-sponsored amnesia. We didn't just fail to prosecute the war. We paved over the evidence and called it reconstruction.
I know what real, unprosecuted absence looks like, because I sat across from it once, in a rustic hotel meeting room, at a weekend workshop on the memory of the war organized with one of our partners, Pro-Peace. The organizers had invited four families, the ones who, decades ago, refused to accept that "the war is over" could also mean "we will never tell you what happened to your son, your husband, your brother." These are the families behind the very committee that, after two earlier attempts went nowhere, finally forced a real law into existence in 2018. Even now, that law is missing judges nobody has bothered to replace, running on a budget nobody has bothered to secure.
I remember the women's voices trembling as they spoke, worn down by a pain that had never once been allowed to become a case file. And I remember, at the end, the group's founder, Wadad Halwani, who has been doing this since before I could read, looking at the room and asking, simply: "Now you know our stories. What are you going to do?"
I looked at her face, at wrinkles that were themselves a written record of forty years of refusing to give up, and I remember thinking: what can I actually do? I can feel this. I can add it to all the trauma my own family carries from that same obscure period. And that is not nothing. But it is not an answer either, and both of us in that room knew it. Seventeen thousand people disappeared during our war. Seventeen thousand families still don't have a body to bury or a date to mourn on. The gatekeepers whose entire purpose was to find that out for them didn't merely fail. For most of three decades, they did not exist at all.
The killing didn't stop when the war supposedly did. Seventeen days into the shortest presidency in our history, René Moawad's convoy was blown apart on Independence Day, 1989. No one was ever convicted. No one was ever formally charged. His widow has spent decades saying, publicly, that she knows who was behind it. Saying is all anyone has ever been able to do.
Sixteen years later, Rafic Hariri, the same man who had built Solidere, was killed in a blast that also took twenty-one people who happened to be near him. A special international tribunal was built for this one case, funded and staffed for years, given more resources and patience than every other Lebanese political killing combined. It indicted four men. One died in Syria before any verdict touched him. Of the remaining three, one was convicted in 2020; two more only on appeal, two years later. The judges said, in their own words, that nothing in the evidence reached the people who had actually decided the operation should happen. It reached only the men who carried it out. The group that sheltered them for fifteen years simply refused to hand a single one over. Fifteen years, unlimited resources, the full weight of the international community, and the highest a gate ever swung open was for the men who pulled the trigger. Never for whoever gave the order.
Then, for almost a decade afterward, it kept happening. A journalist. A former party leader. A newspaper editor and sitting MP, killed along with two others in the same blast. A minister, shot dead with his bodyguard. A member of parliament, killed with his own son and several others nearby. Another MP, five more people killed alongside him. A police intelligence officer who was getting close to solving the first case. A general. That's nine names in under a decade. It doesn't count the ones who survived the attempt and carried the wounds anyway. Not one conviction, in any of it, ever reached whoever was deciding, night after night, that this was an acceptable way to run a country.
Which brings me back to where I started. Six years after the port took my ceiling, the financial system that was supposed to hold this entire country upright had already, by then, quietly finished stealing from every one of us. I was fortunate; I had modest savings, which, absurdly, I am still in the process of recovering even now. People closer to me were not so fortunate. I think, often, about a man who spent an entire working life, the ordinary, unglamorous discipline of decades, building the financial security meant to carry him through its last chapter. Then he watched it disappear into a hole. A forensic audit would later describe that hole in flat technical language: $111 million in "illegitimate commissions." On top of that, $330 million was funnelled over more than a decade to a company that investigators found never did a single day of real work. The World Bank called what happened to our banking system one of the three worst financial collapses anywhere in the world in a hundred and fifty years. The man most personally identified with causing it was arrested in 2024, held for thirteen months, and is now free. Free enough to have already gone on television to explain himself.
There is, for the first time in years, a narrow and entirely unproven opening. Banking secrecy, the wall that let regulators claim for years they simply couldn't see what they weren't looking for, was finally lifted last year. A new law now gives a real regulator the power to examine a decade of bank records it was never allowed to touch before. Judge Bitar's port file is, for the first time since 2020, actually sitting on a prosecutor's desk instead of buried under a lawsuit. None of this is a happy ending. None of it is even a resolution. It is a door, cracked open by people who refused to stop pushing, with no guarantee whatsoever that it stays open once the anniversaries and the cameras move on to something else.
Here is what I actually believe explains all of it, and I say this as someone who loves this country enough to have nearly died for it without ever once leaving it: we became, after the civil war, a deeply pacified people. Pacified toward every kind of violence committed against us: a verbal insult, a currency evaporating overnight, two hours of electricity a day treated as a normal way to live, a country visibly divided between people the law can reach and people it was never written to touch. And once a population stops being frightening to the people in charge, those people stop being afraid of it. They no longer need to hide what they do. They do it in front of us, because they've learned, correctly, that nothing happens to them when they do.
That's the actual answer to the question this piece keeps circling. Where were the gatekeepers? They were exactly where power needed them to be: captured whenever money was involved, silenced whenever the truth got too close, or simply never appointed in the first place, because an empty chair costs nothing and offends no one.
Wadad Halwani asked a room of strangers a question I still haven't fully answered: now you know our stories, what are you going to do? I didn't have a good answer for her that day, and I'm not sure I have a complete one now. But I know what I refuse to do. I refuse to file it under "that's just how it is here" and change the channel: not the amnesty, not the blast, not the money, not her. You've read this far. You now know what I know.
So I'll leave you with the only question I have left, because it's the same one she asked me, and I still haven't found a better one:
Now you know. What are you going to do?

Comments
Post a Comment